By Dr. Bob McCauley, ND
A proliferation of harmful bacteria in the gut can rob your body of the essential nutrients it needs by consuming those nutrients that your body would normally absorb. Probiotics are the friendly bacteria that help keep the intestines healthy and assist in digestion and nutrient absorption. ProFerment is a unique blend of acidophilus (DE111) and a prebiotic PreforPro. In clinical studies, DE111 has been shown to drive out unwanted bacterial pathogens. ProFerment contains PreforPro which has been shown in more than 20 clinical studies to accelerate the growth by at least 10 fold of many types of probiotic species.
Studies also showed that ProFerment significantly decrease in both Total and LDL cholesterol in the body. All disease derives from our diet and are first born in the digestive tract.
The probiotic benefits of DE-111 Bacillus subtilis for digestive and immune health include:
- Crowds out bacterial pathogens and maintains healthy gut flora
- Supports the normal immune reaction of intestinal cells
- Communicates with intestinal cells to maintain the gut barrier’s function
- Can persist in the GI tract, increase its numbers and then re-sporulate.
In in vitro tests under physiological conditions, PreforPro has been shown to accelerate the growth of a broad spectrum of probiotic species, including:
- B. bifidum
- B. breve
- B. animalis
- B. longum
- L. acidophilus
- L. paracasei
- L. casei
- L. rhamnosus
- Lc. lactis
- B. subtilis
Functions in Both Small and Large Intestine
B. subtilis growth after 5 hours under physiological conditions, competing with E. coli
In-vivo growth of beneficial bacteria, B. longum, when competing with undesirable bacteria, E. coli, in different sections of the gastrointestinal tract of mice that were administered PreforPro in ProFerment.
Lactococcus lactis growth after 5 hours under physiological conditions, competing with E. coli
Human Clinical Study
In a human clinical study, PreforPro was shown to influence the microbial population of the gut, while also producing positive effects on cholesterol and immune response. Participants were administered one 15mg PreforPro capsule daily. When compared to the placebo group, results of the study indicated:
- PreforPro substantially enhanced the growth of beneficial bacteria, including Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus delbrueckii and Lactobacillus lactococcus.
- A significant decrease in LDL cholesterol was observed in the total study population, as well as a trend toward decreased total cholesterol.
- Participants with excess lipids in the blood showed both clinically and statistically relevant decreases in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol.
- A significant decrease in the allergy-inducing interleukin 4 (IL-4) cytokine