by Bob McCauley, CNC, MH
- AFA Klamath Blue Green Algae known as Aphanizomenon flos–aquae – (AFA) and Spirulina platensis are cyanobacteria. Not true algae – but half animal and half plant. They don’t have a nucleus such as chlorella. It grows end to end like pearl – Spirulina spiral shape growth pattern.
- All plants on earth evolved from Chlorella algae billions of years ago.
- Nothing evolved from cyanobacteria species – because nothing can evolve from their hybrid of animal and plant.
- Cyanobacteria and chlorella have similar nutritional profiles, protein – carbs – fats in about the same ratio, similar nutrients.
- However they are very different foods, which is why we should consume both of them.
- AFA is a good nutritional food. It has some neurotoxins, Ana-Toxin A for example. Spirulina and Chlorella don’t have this toxin or any neurotoxins.
- I prefer Spirulina because precisely because it is grown in a controlled environment, and is not harvested from a lake. Although some Chinese Spirulina is grown and harvested from lakes in the north of China. I would be wary of consuming that.
- Klamath Lake, Oregon is a recreational lake with boats and a migratory pathway. The bacteria count is extremely high. Chlorella is less than 300 per gram whereas they are 100,000 per gram, which is considered acceptable, but not by my standards.
- Also, what are you harvesting with the AFA – other algae species, aquatic species and unknown elements. Same reason I don’t like marine phytoplankton. Harvest other algae species with it.
- If they cultivated AFA the way Spirulina is, I would be willing to consume it regularly. But essentially it is nutritionally identical to Spirulina – a true superfood that is grown in a controlled environment under natural sunlight.
Dr. Bob’s Blog is not intended as medical advice. The writings and statements on this website have not reviewed and/or approved by the FDA. Our products are not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Rather they are meant to demonstrate that aging can be slowed and even reversed and that Great Health achieved when the most fundamental nutritional needs of the human body are met. Always consult a medical doctor or other medical professional when you consider it necessary.
Dr. Bob’s Blog is covered under (47 U.S.C. § 230): “No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider”.